Surf Lessons for Kids in Myrtle Beach
It's every kid’s dream and every parent’s fear the first time they see someone surfing the waves in Myrtle Beach.
“Can I do that?” exclaims the kid. “I was afraid you would ask,” counters the parent.
While you may not want to brave the waves yourself, it's possible to give your child a safe and enjoyable experience through one of the many surf camps and private lessons available on the Grand Strand.
With lifeguard- and CPR-certified instructors and experienced surfers working with your children, some students will be up and hanging 10 before you know it. Here are five places that offer surf lessons on the Strand:
• Myrtle Beach Surf School: That’s right, kids don’t mind going to summer school when it’s all about surfing. These three-hour sessions are held on the beach Tuesdays and Wednesdays in June, July and September. Drinks, snacks, use of a surfboard and a T-shirt are included in the $60 tuition. Private lessons for parties of six or more are available if you want the whole family to learn.
• Ripleys Aquarium: Yes, this popular attraction also offers summer marine camps for kids which offer a wide range of subjects and activities. Surfing is on the agenda each Wednesday (weather and waves permitting) for ages 6-16. Other activities include Mermaid Camp and a two-day kayaking adventure.
• Kokopelli Surf Camp: Located in a small shack behind the Prince Resort at Cherry Grove Pier, this outfit is owned and operated by local surf experts who know the waves and water. They have everything you need to get your youngster up and surfing, including local knowledge and safety precautions. Paddleboarding lessons are also available for those who prefer the slow lane.
• Jack’s Surf Lessons and Board Rentals: Jack’s has been operating in Myrtle Beach for many years and brings a lot of surfing experience to students of all ages. Jack’s offers private and group sessions as well as paddleboard lessons and tours.
• Palmetto Surf School: A bit pricy compared to others, with camp admission or a one-hour private lesson going for $150. This outfit does go the extra mile, however, including birthday parties. Camps are held Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 8 to 10:30 a.m.